Volume 1 Issue 2 - 2018
Lymphoma of the anus
Departments of Pathology and Surgery, the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria
*Corresponding Author: Wilson Onuigbo, Departments of Pathology and Surgery, the University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital, Enugu, Nigeria.
Received: March 15, 2018; Published: March 28, 2018
Lymphoma of the anus is a rarity. It may be associated with HIV-Infection. Now, single case reports have appeared in Brazil, Korea, United State of America and India. Therefore, a Nigerian case is deemed to be worthy of documentation.
Keywords: Anus; Lymphoma; Epidemiology; Developing community
Lymphoma of the anus is rare. Case reports have been published in countries as far apart as Brazil , Korea , United State of America , and India . Accordingly, a Nigerian case found among the Ibo/Igbo ethnic group  is deemed to be worthy of documentation.
An 18-year-old girl complained of a progressively painful anal growth of 15 months duration. There was recent bleeding. She was seen by the co-author who investigated her and carried out a biopsy. The specimen consisted of a 1.5 cm skin wedge submitted to the senior author. On microscopy, skin is discernibly infiltrated with sheets of round tumor cells typical of a lymphoma.
A Birmingham (United Kingdom) group adverted to the importance of the establishment of a histopathology data pool as regards epidemiological analysis . From 1970, such a pool was instituted at Enugu, the erstwhile capital of the Eastern Region of Nigeria. As the pioneer pathologist, numerous cases came to hand. The single case detailed above is deemed to be worthy of documentation. The association of lymphoma with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection was recognized [1-3]. Our case was free of this infection. Concerning age, the cited cases ranged mostly in the 40s [1-3]. The oldest was aged 54 years . Accordingly, our patient is rather young.
- Chagas LA., et al. “Plasmablastic lymphoma of the anal canal in an HIV-Infected patient”. American Journal of Case Reports 15 (2014): 543-549.
- Lim JH.,et al. “Plasmablastic lymphoma in the anal canal”. Cancer Research and Treatment 41.3 (2009): 182-185.
- Ly VL and Uppal GK. “Plasmablastic lymphoma of the anus: A case report”. Case Reports in Clinical Pathology 2.3 (2015): 80.
- Singh GK., et al. “Primary cutaneous anaplastic large cell lymphoma – A usual malignancy with unusual presentation at an uncommon site: A case report”. Oncology, Gastroenterology and Hepatology Reports 7.1 (2018): 53-55.
- Basden GT. “Niger Ibos. London: Cass”. (1966).
- Macartney JC., et al. “Use of a histopathology data pool for epidemiological analysis”. Journal of Clinical Pathology 33.4 (1980): 351-353.
Citation: Wilson IB Onuigbo and Gabriel E Njeze. “Lymphoma of the anus”. Chronicle of Medicine and Surgery 1.2 (2018): 79-80.
Copyright: © 2018 Wilson IB Onuigbo and Gabriel E Njeze. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author and source are credited.